Common Core lessons and activities for teaching the Declaration of Independence
Declaration of Independence - Common Core Lessons and Activities book
Meet the new Common Core State Standards for ELA as well as Literacy & Writing in History and Social Studies! This book is designed to supplement your Social Studies resources, adding new Common Core rigor, analysis, writing inference, text-dependent questions and more into your daily instruction. ©2013. 24 pages. Middle/high school levels.
Here's how it works!
- Work through the lessons and activities as a class to teach your students higher-order thinking, analysis, and 21st century skills necessary to meet new Common Core State Standards expectations.
- Allow students to work through the lessons independently to build and practice these new skills.
- Include technology, collaboration, presentations, and discussion in the activities as you desire - you can decide how in-depth to go.
- Watch your class develop new abilities to meet the rigor of Common Core State Standards, right before your eyes!
Declaration of Independence - Common Core Lessons and Activities includes:
- Reading for Information
- Higher-Order Thinking
- Writing Problems
- Primary Source Analysis
- Graphic Organizers
- Map Activities & More!
Tips for using and reproducing the book pages:
- Use some of the pages - or use them all - based on your grade, your students, your curriculum, and your needs.
- Use these pages at their current size, or if you prefer them to be 8.5 X 11 inches, enlarge them 125% on your copy machine.
- Use the CCSS correlations grid to easily see which Common Core standards are covered in each lesson.
©2013. Soft cover, 24 pages, 8-1/2 x 5-1/4, reproducible. Middle/high school.
Table of Contents include:
Early Independence: Reading Informational Text
Acts of Parliament: Main Idea Organizer
Sons of Liberty & The Boston Tea Party: Reading Informational Text
The Boston Massacre: Primary Source Analysis
"Paying the Excise Man": Comparison of Primary Sources
Loyalists, Neutralists, & Patriots: Point of View
"Join, or Die": Primary Source Analysis
The British Perspective: Reading Informational Text
Path to the Declaration: Chronological Events
Mapping the Declaration: Summative Flowchart
Words of Declaration: Vocabulary
Authors of the Declaration: Reading Informational Text
Drafting the Declaration: Reading Informational Text
Structure of the Declaration: Reading Informational Text
Key Philosophy: Reading Informational Text
Key Declaration Excerpts: Primary Source Analysis
List of Complaints: Summarizing Information
Created Equal?: Writing
Influence of the Declaration: Reading Informational Text
Common Core State Standards Correlations