Common Core lessons and activities for teaching about communities
Communities - Common Core Lessons and Activities book
Meet the new Common Core State Standards for ELA as well as Literacy & Writing in History and Social Studies! This book is designed to supplement your Social Studies resources, adding new Common Core rigor, analysis, writing inference, text-dependent questions and more into your daily instruction. ©2013. 24 pages. Middle/high school levels.
Here's how it works!
- Work through the lessons and activities as a class to teach your students higher-order thinking, analysis, and 21st century skills necessary to meet new Common Core State Standards expectations.
- Allow students to work through the lessons independently to build and practice these new skills.
- Include technology, collaboration, presentations, and discussion in the activities as you desire - you can decide how in-depth to go.
- Watch your class develop new abilities to meet the rigor of Common Core State Standards, right before your eyes!
Communitites- Common Core Lessons and Activities includes:
- Reading for Information
- Higher-Order Thinking
- Writing Problems
- Primary Source Analysis
- Graphic Organizers
- Map Activities & More!
Tips for using and reproducing the book pages:
- Use some of the pages - or use them all - based on your grade, your students, your curriculum, and your needs.
- Use these pages at their current size, or if you prefer them to be 8.5 X 11 inches, enlarge them 125% on your copy machine.
- Use the CCSS correlations grid to easily see which Common Core standards are covered in each lesson.
©2013. Soft cover, 24 pages, 8-1/2 x 5-1/4, reproducible. Middle/high school.
Table of Content includes:
What Is a Community?: Reading Informational Text
Land, Water, and Air: Reading Informational Text
Mapping a Community: Map Activity
Rules and Laws: Reading Informational Text
Personal & Civic Responsibility: Graphical Analysis
Get Involved!: Comparison of Primary Sources
Helping in Your Community: Problem-Solution-Results
Community Helpers: Influential People
Community Vocabulary: Vocabulary
Your Local History Timeline: Chronological Events
A Human Habitat: Primary Source Analysis
Types of Communities: Graphical Analysis
The Changing Community: Comparison of Primary Sources
Communities & the Environment: Reading Informational Text
Timber!: Primary Source Analysis
Protecting the Environment: Main Idea Organizer
Communities of Culture: Reading Informational Text
The Chinese New Year: Reading Informational Text
Global Communities: Data Analysis
Common Core State Standards Correlations